VMware Cloud Community
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SLES10 SP1/SP2 crashes--update

I have posted a couple of times about our issue of Sles10 SP1(various kernels) will "crash" under ESX3.5. It alwasy appeared that vmmectl from the tools would be responsible for this looking at /var/log/messages. This would happen when aggresive ballooning would take place. For some reason our windows, netware, and red hat boxes do not experience this. I did not see this on esx 3.02

Vmware did reproduce this under esx 3.5, but not esx 3.02. They still are investigating and do not have a root cause.

I am wondering if anyone out there has seen the same issue with their suse boxes? Basically the tools will just stop running,,,,if you look in /var/log/messages you will see some memory swap errors.G

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Is your host actively using the memory ballooning driver?

If your host has enough memory to serve your guests without ballooning, I would personally test your suspicion and unload the vmmemctl module.

If it then eliminates the issue, you are more certain that it was indeed this module causing you this grief.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I already know it is the vmmemctl driver. Vmware duplicated it on ewx35,,,but not 302. I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this,,,,because to me it seems that altough sles10 sp1 is supposed to be fully supported--it definitely is not. There is some interaction with vmmemctl and that distro,,,even with several kernel versions.

I just hope vmware can fix this in a timely manner, but they are uncertain the cause yet. Just that they know it happens.

0 Kudos
jmmarton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I already know it is the vmmemctl driver. Vmware duplicated it on ewx35,,,but not 302. I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this,,,,because to me it seems that altough sles10 sp1 is supposed to be fully supported--it definitely is not. There is some interaction with vmmemctl and that distro,,,even with several kernel versions.

I just hope vmware can fix this in a timely manner, but they are uncertain the cause yet. Just that they know it happens.

I'll be testing this myself this weekend!

Joe

0 Kudos
shmuelk
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot install SP2 (not 4 CDs nor 2 DVDs) on VMWARE Server 1.0.6I

In various scenarios with 4 CDs - the second CD (CD2) is never accepted, install has to be aborted

Install from DVD image failes in initial stage of reading catalog.

0 Kudos
jmmarton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I cannot install SP2 (not 4 CDs nor 2 DVDs) on VMWARE Server 1.0.6I

In various scenarios with 4 CDs - the second CD (CD2) is never accepted, install has to be aborted

Install from DVD image failes in initial stage of reading catalog.

Did you verify the MD5 checksums of your ISOs? It almost sounds like you have bad downloads of the ISOs to me.

Not that this is much help, but just yesterday I installed SLES10 SP2, both i386 & x86_64, under ESX 3.5 using the DVD installation media of each. No problems here. I would suspect it should also install under VMWare Server 1.0.6.

Joe

0 Kudos
shmuelk
Contributor
Contributor

I will verify MD5 of images, thanks

0 Kudos