VMware Cloud Community
andoven
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SCSI drivers for new Windows 2003 Servers: LSI Logic vs Bus Logic

I am trying to create a Windows Server 2003 VM

I tried using the BusLogic SCSI controller to create the initial C drive when I setup my VM. However, when I booted to my Windows 2003 Enterprise CD, it said it could not find my hard drive that I defined when I created my VM.

Dell servers that I have P2V'd use the BusLogic driver in VMware by default

Windows 2003 VM Servers that I created from scratch use the LSI Logic adapter by default

I've read on the web that you must use the LSI Logic adapter to setup an XP Pro VM

We are using Hitatchi Data Systems 300GB FC drives on the back end and Dell 2850 servers as our ESX hosts.

Is there a preference as to which driver I should use for my MS Server 2003 Enterprise VM?

If it's BusLogic, how can I get my Server 2003 Enterprise CD install program to see the disk I've defined using that driver?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
server_team
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

BUS Logic is for Legacy, LSI Logic is written for VMWARE and has a performance advantage, wherever possible your choice should be LSI Logic.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GBromage
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi andoven!

You should use the LSI Logic controller for Windows 2003, and the driver ships natively with the software.

It doesn't matter what FC systems you're using on the host. The SCSI within the virtual guest is just an emulated SCSI card, to allow it to talk to the VMDK file.

If you really want to use the BusLogic card, I believe there is a driver (floppy) disk available. Mount that in the virtual floppy drive when you boot up to install 2003, and press the F6 key when prompted to load additional SCSI drivers during the text-mode setup.

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!
0 Kudos
server_team
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

BUS Logic is for Legacy, LSI Logic is written for VMWARE and has a performance advantage, wherever possible your choice should be LSI Logic.

Good Luck

0 Kudos