VMware Cloud Community
kyfbof
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Reversed snapshot but \*delta* files are still growing

Hi,

ENV: host=ESX 3.0.1, vm=W2000

We turned on the snapshot before applied SP1 to a W2000 VM in order to change HAL fr multiple to single CPU. The snapshot manager looked like this:

\- Triton

- Before SP1

> o you are here

We found out 8h later, that the change affected the application. We then reverse the snapshot by highlight "Before the SP1" and click "Goto" button. So the snashot manager now looks like this:

\- Triton

>- Before SP1

o you are here

The VM went back to the proper image. However, We observe that the performance of application is getting worse, and under the datastore, although the \*Snapshot* file stopped growing, the \*delta* files are. When I select "You are here" the "Goto", "Delete", and "Delete All" buttons grey out. When I select "Before SP1" they are clickable.

Did I do something wrong? Why is the VM still recording the changes <=> creating lots of IOs and consume system resource? What is the proper next step?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
spex
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As I understood you: I would say works as designed

Since you have still a snapshot session for your vm (before sp1) all changes that you do above this session in the base file must be recorded to a delta file to allow you to go back to that point.

If you want to avoid writing to the deltas delete the snapshot after using GOTO.

Regards

Spex

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
spex
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As I understood you: I would say works as designed

Since you have still a snapshot session for your vm (before sp1) all changes that you do above this session in the base file must be recorded to a delta file to allow you to go back to that point.

If you want to avoid writing to the deltas delete the snapshot after using GOTO.

Regards

Spex

0 Kudos
arisaperstein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you select revert, the snapshot still remains; the VM is returned to the point in time before the snapshot was taken but all writes continue to goto the -delta file until you delete the snapshot. When you delete the snapshot all the changes are applied to the vmdk from the point of revert forward. It's a bit confusing Smiley Happy

depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

it's not only confusing. the term snapshot / delete / revert are used in the wrong way. vmware should look into this and fix it. revert should also have the option to end the snapshot mode.

0 Kudos
osde_info
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I AGREE

snapshot / delete / delete all / commit / commit all / revert / remove

snapshot / delta / redo

is now all very confusing and misleading

i used to understand it in the ESX 2.x days when it was just .redo and .redo.redo

regards

clive

regards clive http://vizz.info
0 Kudos