VMware Cloud Community
AmazingTed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Reusing a Server after a P2V

Hi i have a few weeks ago P2V'd a major file server, i have left it several weeks and am happy that the machine has ported successfully.

I am now looking at reusing the hardware it was on without rebuilding the OS so i have unplugged the NICs and switched on the server, removed the static IP and renamed the machine and added it onto a dummy workgroup.

I have removed all the roles such as WSUS and it is say now on bu not on the domain. I need to know if i can simply do the above, rename the machine set is to DHCP and join it to the domain as a new machine. My concern is that having worked with cloning tech in the past i have had to change UUID's etc. Is this the case in this situation or can i just rename, rejoin and get on with it, or have i got to reimage the server with a clean OS?

Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welceom to the Communiry - Depending on the OS if Windows I would use a tool like NEWSid to generate a new SID for the machine -  but ultimately yes it is that simple.

I am curious as why you did not lay down a fresh O/S install? I ask this because you will end up having duplication of the data on the network because _2V does not move the data it just copies it-

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welceom to the Communiry - Depending on the OS if Windows I would use a tool like NEWSid to generate a new SID for the machine -  but ultimately yes it is that simple.

I am curious as why you did not lay down a fresh O/S install? I ask this because you will end up having duplication of the data on the network because _2V does not move the data it just copies it-

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
AmazingTed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi thanks!

I have not installed a fresh OS because basically i can't be bothered to do it, the machine has some file on it that need deleting, some house keeping and there we go!

All it will be doing is a BE Media Server and an FTP server so if i can save a couple hours on a fresh install i will.

Thanks for the advice thought, what would be the ramifications if i were to leave the machine without regenerating a new SID out of interest? its Server 2008 R2 Standard.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Makes sense - With 2008 I beliebe rejoinging it to the domain will create a new identity for it -

I am also mving this to a more approriate forum -

0 Kudos