VMware Cloud Community
blizeH
Contributor
Contributor

Resizing the disk space?

Hi guys,

I made a VMWare image that was around 8GB thinking I'd need all of that, however, I've just installed everything I need and I've literally got 6GB free!

Now, I'll admit maybe it'd be good to keep an extra 2GB or so spare, but it really is excessive, and since I'm probably going to clone it 4 or 5 times I could do with that extra 4GB (or 20GB!) back if possible.

Any way to do this, or am I going to have to start from scratch?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
cemetric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is an option (or was, need to check it out, but haven't got access to my lab now).

These posts touch the subject:

http://www.vmware.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=423911

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=428964&#428964

blizeH
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for the reply, the one doesn't seem to work and the other seems to be confusing command line things Smiley Sad

Is there anyway I could make a new disc image and then copy the content from one to the other?

0 Kudos
cemetric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think the easiest solution (besides from starting a new VM Smiley Wink ) is to use something like Symantec's Ghost program.

This way you can copy your current disk to a new (smaller disk). Other then that I don't see any "easy" solution.

The confusing command line things, also aren't supported anymore by VMware, it is reported to still work, but I haven't tested it.

blizeH
Contributor
Contributor

Oh I see, hmm, many thanks - think I'll just start again Smiley Sad

My installation seems screwed anyway; it's not letting me run two virtual machines at once!

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

I have many re-sizing methods on my website...

http://vmware-land.com/Resizing_Virtual_Disks.html

0 Kudos
cemetric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nice ... Thanks ... The VMConverter is a nice idea ...Didn't think of that.

0 Kudos
blizeH
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for the link, looks awesome but unfortunately I already started again and remade the virtual machine earlier Smiley Sad

It's back and running now though, one question, any idea why every time I click onto the second virtual machine I have running it's just black?

0 Kudos
blizeH
Contributor
Contributor

Also, since I've cloned it, the one that loads up second screws up because it tries to take the same IP address as the other, which doesn't work Smiley Sad How do I fix this please?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

What process did you use to make the second machine? Also what OS are you using and are you using DHCP or static IP addresses?

0 Kudos
blizeH
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for the reply; I made the second machine using the clone process that, err, isn't the full clone one. I'm using DCHP btw, I tried entering the IP address manually but there were three boxes and I had no idea what to enter into the second two!

0 Kudos
blizeH
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone please have any ideas on how to get the internet working on each? Smiley Sad Many thanks

0 Kudos
arman68
Contributor
Contributor

First the black screen: afaik this happens when vmware server is running on linux, with no execute rights on the configuration file. Fix it by running 'chmod +x *.vmx' (no need to stop the guest).

The IP address conflict: you are probably running windows guest, and since you are using a clone, servers have probably same name and sid. Make sure only 1 server is powered up. Download newsid.exe from sysinternals, run it and rename the server as well. Once rebooted, you should be able to run both without problem.

0 Kudos