VMware Cloud Community
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Resizing VM disk - error in gparted??

Hello,

I would need resize disk. I try this http://vmware-land.com/Resizing_Virtual_Disks.html. I resize my *.vmdk file to 10g, run Win and I see free space on the end of partition. I boot gparted, resize partition, restart PC, but in W2k3 server a see old size of partition when I use explorer. BUT in disk management I see new size of partition?? Thanks for your help!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
skishore
Contributor
Contributor

You can extend partition within W2k3 OS using diskpart. Select your volume and issue extend command from diskpart prompt.

Cheers

0 Kudos
bhadzik
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Remember, Diskpart does not allow you to extend system volumes Ex: C drive.

I have seen this same problem with using gparted before, but I never could correct it. One option in the future is to take a snapshot after you extend the disk through vmkfstools, but before you extend the partition with gparted. That way in case something gets screwed up with gparted during the extending process, you can revert to the snapshot.

piacas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To use diskpart in Windows on a C drive, do this:

1. Create a helper VM

2. Power off VM you want to extend

3. Extend VMDK to size wanted

4. Add original VMDK file to helper VM, will become D or E drive.

5. After added to helper VM, give newly added VMDK a drive letter

6. Use diskpart to extend added drive

7. power off helper VM and remove VMDK from helper (do not delete it!)

8. Power original VM and drive will have new size.

Of cource this is not in any way supported by MS, but I've used it dozens of times with no issues.....

rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks all for reply. I know about solution with helper VM, but I would need any open source solution for our physical server too. Helper VM works.

I have PQ Magic 8.0, but it couldn´t be install on server.

I found this:

http://www.penguin-soft.com/penguin/man/8/ntfsresize.html

0 Kudos