VMware Cloud Community
JeffHarrison
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Resize OS Partition of Windows Server 2003 Guest OS

Hello,

I need to upgrade some of my Windows Server 2003 VMs to 2008 to take advantage of some new functionality, but due to disk size constraints when these 2003 VMs were created they have very small OS partitions. I can resize the disk that the partition resides on, but I'm wondering how I can resize the partition so that I'll have enough disk space free to in-place upgrade to Windows Server 2008.

I'm sure there's some clever trick to doing this with VMWare... Smiley Happy

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I've also found using VMware Converter is the best and easiest solution if you have space just clone it with larger disk and link to it or delete old servers and it works great everytime.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
msemon1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Take a look at this doc for resizing your virtual disks.

http://vmware-land.com/Resizing_Virtual_Disks.html

Mike

fridge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have done method #1 on that list at least 75 times w/o any problems. Of course now I just set myself up to corrupt the partition the next time I try it.........

==========================

Rod Gabriel

Wisconsin Area VMUG Leader

VMware vExpert - 2009

================================== Rod Gabriel Wisconsin VMUG Leader VMware vExpert - 2009-18 Twitter: @ThatFridgeGuy & @WIVMUG http://wivmug.org
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I've also found using VMware Converter is the best and easiest solution if you have space just clone it with larger disk and link to it or delete old servers and it works great everytime.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
powerzhu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1. If there is free disk space on other partition of this virtual disk, you may resize these partitions to be smaller and expand the os partition.

2. If the entire disk space is low, you may use  vmware-vdiskmanager.exe to increase the disk space and follow the step1.

3. If the physical partition that store the VM is out of space, you may resize this partition to be largger.

I suggest you use partition magic alternative to do this, either you install the SW in physical drive or virtual disk, you can resize the partitions easily. Just drag and move on disk map with a nice GUI.

http://www.partition-magic-server.com/resource/extend-c-drive-vmware-server.html

Go,go,go
0 Kudos