VMware Cloud Community
shannonadams
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Reduce size of VM virtual disks?

I have a VM running on ESX 3.5 that has two 20 GB virtual drives and runs CentOS 5.3. I would like to scale down the total size of the VM from a combined 40 GB to around 10-20 GB. I have a ton of free space on the existing partitions.

Here is my usage:

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/sdb1 20807184 5767084 13991460 30% /

/dev/sda2 20807216 1135120 18623456 6% /show

/dev/sda1 101086 29351 66516 31% /boot

tmpfs 1948132 0 1948132 0% /dev/shm

How can I reduce these partitions and then the size of the virtual disks?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I would recommend using the free VMware Converter. It is probably the cleanest and safest way.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kooltechies
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Try using VMware converter that gives you resizing option , there you can select the new size of your disk.

Thanks,

Samir

P.S : If you think that the answer is helpful please consider rewarding points.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you're using ESX 3.x, you'll need to use VM Convertor, or something like partition magic . . Convertor will be the neater option.

If you;re using vSphere, you could convert the Disk to be thin provisioned, using the Storga eVMotion tool - this will allow the VMs to think it has 40GB, but only use the amount of disk space that is actually allocated to data

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
dkfbp
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I have done something similar.

Created a new .VMDK and used the acronis boot cd to clone from the old .vmdk file to the new .vmdk file.

Best regards

Frank Brix Pedersen

Best regards Frank Brix Pedersen blog: http://www.vfrank.org
0 Kudos
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I would recommend using the free VMware Converter. It is probably the cleanest and safest way.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos