VMware Cloud Community
jfmorales
Contributor
Contributor

Recovering VM from VMDK File Only

For one of my VMs, for some reason all the files have disappeared except for the vmdk file itself. Is there some way to recover/recreate a VM from just the vmdk file? I've tried importing it in various ways, but couldn't find any selection for importing a vmdk file.

This is on VMWare ESX Server 3.5.0, 64607 with VMWare Infrastructure Server 2.5.0, 59306.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Joseph

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

create a new VM using the custom setup... When you get to "Select a disk" and choose "use and existing virtual disk, point to where the .vmdk file is. Once complete, try and power it on.

jfmorales
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Troy. I did as you suggested. When I try to power on the virtual machine, the console window shows the message "Operating System not found."

Is there some further workaround I can try?

Joseph

0 Kudos
jfmorales
Contributor
Contributor

An update... I noticed that the .vmdk file was in a different folder than the folder where the virtual machine was created. So I dumped that virtual machine (removed from inventory and deleted the files) and started over, after having first moved the vmdk file to a folder with the exact name that I planned to give to the virtual machine. This time I was able to power up the VM successfully and run Windows. However, I notice that VMWare created a new folder with the same name as the old one, but with _1 at the end, and put the new virtual machine files in that folder. So the virtual hard disk is still in a different folder than the other virtual machine files. It's a bit strange from a maintenance point of view, but at least it is working!

Is there any way of creating a custom VM to use an existing hard disk, and have it end up in the same folder as the new VM files?

Thanks,

Joseph

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you connect the VI client directly to the host and the folder does not contain a vmx file, then it will create the news files for the vm is nhe same folder name. Going through VirtualCenter seems to create a new folder regardless of what is in the folder with the same name of the vm that you are creating.

You could also create a vm with no hard drive, move the vmdk to the folder after the vm is created then edit the vm's settings and add the vmdk.

0 Kudos
jfmorales
Contributor
Contributor

>> . . . You could also create a vm with no hard drive, move the vmdk to the folder after the vm is created then edit the vm's settings and add the vmdk.

Thanks, Dave!

0 Kudos