VMware Cloud Community
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Recover a NTFS volume messed up by a ESX-storage rescan

A friend of mine runs ESX and to store the VMs he uses Starwind on a Windows-server.

Recently he accidentally assigned the wrong local volume in Starwind. Instead of pointing to the disk with VMFS he pointed to a NTFS disk with 1 Tb of important data.

He started the ESX which found no storage - he run a rescan on iSCSI but found nothing.

He then noticed his mistake. Too bad the Windows-server no longer detected the disk. The NTFS-volume was gone and the disk looked like a raw unpartitioned blank disk.

He then send that disk via mail to me so that I have a look.

It really appeared to be blank.

I then used testdisk - see http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

It detected the disk as upartitioned raw disk of 1 Tb.

I run the "scan for lost partitions"

testdisk found the volume and offered to fix it.

Two minutes later everything was fine - data is back unharmed.

Maybe it helps someone ...

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
3 Replies
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yeh! that's what TeskDisk can do when most people think their data already corrupted. Just have to be carefull with "deep search" features ya!

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Thanks for the great tips Continuum, as always you're life saver to disk corruptions!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
ConstantinV
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you have any troubles and you are user of Starwind - use can always communicate with our support for getting help.

Starwind Software Developer

VCP 4/5, VCAP-DCD 5, VCAP-DCA 5, VCAP-CIA 5, vExpert 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
0 Kudos