VMware Cloud Community
Bryon1
Contributor
Contributor

Raw Device Mapping Not working

I have a strange problem I can not figure out. I have creatred a new VM and when I try to add a raw iSCSI mapping for my data drive I get a file not found error and the drive does not show up. We have one other server that has a raw mapping and it works fine. The file not found is:

/vmfs/volumes/_1 .vmdk file.

As I am new to VMWare I suspect it is something simple I am missing.

Things I have tried:

Updated ESX Servers to 3.0.2

Updated Virtual center to 2.0.2 build 50618

Deleted and recreated the VM on diffrent host

Environment:

ESX 3.0.2 (x2)

VC 2.0.2

HA and DRS configured.

HP Blade servers

Equallogic iSCSI SAN.

I have re-confirmed all hardware is on HCL.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
whynotq
Commander
Commander

silly question, but i like going for the obvious first, can you browse to the path?

and how did you configure the RDM? GUI or CMD?

0 Kudos
Bryon1
Contributor
Contributor

Obvious is good. As I am new to VMWare the problem may be obvious to someone else.

Yes I can browse the path. I have done so from the server console and I have created and deleted files in that folder. I can see it from the GUI.

I used the GUI as I have no idea how to do this via CMD line.

Since we are using the default Administrator/root account I think it should not be a rights issue either.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Bryon1
Contributor
Contributor

Check the basics, check the basics and recheck the basics.

Found it. Had the storage guy create a volume of 2TB and he created one at 2048GB which is a smidgen over 2TB and ESX only supports 2TB maximum. So when I tried to add it as a raw mapping I got the very uninformative file not found error message in the GUI.

There was a much more informative message in vmkernel log, which I forgot to check before I posted.

Now to have that conversation with the Storage guy. I sure am going to look funny talking to myself.

Thanks anyway!

0 Kudos