VMware Cloud Community
colodave
Contributor
Contributor

RDP session gets disconnected

Dual esx 3.01,

I converted over a machine (xppro sp2) for a user here that runs some scripting software. Almost from day 1 every day her rdp session gets disconnected from her and she cannot get back on. I can't even open the console it just times out on me. there are no errors in event log showing anything related to rdp sessions. I can ping and to it. I have to power off from the VI. I had cloned this xppro sp2 from another image so i created a brand new xppro sp2 fully patched image to work with. After a day it is doing the same thing. I have twenty other pc/servers running on my esx and although i don't rdp to all i do to most of them without any issues. I am getting beat up on this as i don't think it is VM that is causing this to happen but the application or something the user is doing.

Any ideas from the group?

dave

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Rob_Bohmann1
Expert
Expert

Is the vm falling off the network? (continuous ping?) (response times) How busy is the physical host server (esxtop)

0 Kudos
chandlm
Expert
Expert

This system isn't behind a firewall or anything is it? I've had a strange problem in the past where a continuous RDP session would drop sporadically due to the firewall closing it. Probably not, but thought it was worth mentioning...

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

Are the VMware tools up to date?

0 Kudos
colodave
Contributor
Contributor

No it does not fall off the network. i can still access the admin$.I have a quad nic in both esx boxes and i have moved it to others.

I have turned all things off. Firewall and AV. Like i said i have others (pcs/servers) and i never have seen this before. I have had rdp drop before but not permanently. I was always able to get back on whereever this happened.

I just cloned from the master image a machine that i am using as a workstation. I will monitor this and see what happens.

dave

0 Kudos
colodave
Contributor
Contributor

Yes i have even removed, rebooted and reinstalled vmtools on both images.

0 Kudos
EGRAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

try this if you can.

Clone the system so you don't damage the -real- copy and customize it so it's a unique system.

If you don't have or use sysprep download newsid from the Windows site and run that on the clone.

On that clone remove SP2 and install SP1 test that out. Then install SP2 if SP1 seems to work without hanging.

I had a similar system problem when I converted a Windows 2k SP4 system off of a DELL GX260 PC.

I also changed over it's CD/floppy/ports devices from the physical that it detected to use virtual.

Changing the patch level or upgrading the OS solved my problem. The system's been online now for about a month and has not hung up.

Upgrading and reinstalling the VMtools did nothing to resolve the problem.

Goodluck!

0 Kudos
colodave
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

my master xppro clone is a stand alone pc with up to date patches. Like i said i have 4 other XPPRO sp2 boxes that have "never" locked up the rdp service. This person has now demanded a physical pc back. I don't care at this point other than it has been a "selling job" to get people to let me VM their application pc/servers. Kind of pisses me off to write this off. So i won't be able to test like you have asked. I now have a similar pc on my esx that i will bang on to see if i get it to fail. Will update then.

Thanks for everyones input.

dave

0 Kudos
EGRAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yea I converted several PC's as well and only had one with the problem you described.

The patching/upgrade was what solved my issues.

It took a few days of it freezing up before I was able to get it working properly.

0 Kudos