VMware Cloud Community
Grasshopper75
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problems with virtual DHCP server and client leases

Hi All,

I have recently moved a DHCP server from one of our physical servers to a newly built virtual server and have noticed that the DHCP server does not have any activated leases. The DHCP server is activated within Active DIrectory and the scope has been set correctly. I can ping the server from the client network also.

The ESX host is 3.0.2 and the Guest OS is Windows 2003 SP2.

Any ideas as to why clients are not receiving leases from the new virtual server?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hairyman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm running 1 virtual DNS server and 1 DNS/DHCP Virtual server at my main site (7 VLANS, mixture of desktop, laptop, wireless, IP phones) and have no issues. I suspect that the other server is still active and not knowing your network, you need to stop the DHCP service on your old server so that the new one can take over. That being said if you have managed switches in your environment, you probably need to also change you IP helper-address on each of these so that the switches can forward DHCP requests to the correct server

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Hairyman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm running 1 virtual DNS server and 1 DNS/DHCP Virtual server at my main site (7 VLANS, mixture of desktop, laptop, wireless, IP phones) and have no issues. I suspect that the other server is still active and not knowing your network, you need to stop the DHCP service on your old server so that the new one can take over. That being said if you have managed switches in your environment, you probably need to also change you IP helper-address on each of these so that the switches can forward DHCP requests to the correct server

0 Kudos
Grasshopper75
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Hairyman, it was the IP helper-address that needed updating and all is working great now.

Cheers.

0 Kudos