VMware Cloud Community
lurk_skywalker
Contributor
Contributor

Problems Converting physical machine to virtual machine

I have a standalone Windows Server 2003 R2 32bit machine that I would like to convert to run in VMware Server on CENTOS 5 x64. The source is the powered on machine. I chose not to reconfigure, because i dont want to re-enter the windows keys and there is no risk of conflict as this VM will be deployed at another datacenter. The task is failing at 98% with "FAILED: Customization is not supported for this guest OS."

what am I doing wrong?

thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Below is a link to a decent troubleshooting write up for the error you received.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=1004615&sliceId=1

Best practices for using and troubleshooting VMware Converter

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1004588&sl...

Try configure with Standalone too.

**If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for

"Correct" or "Helpful"**

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
lurk_skywalker
Contributor
Contributor

the first link doesnt apply because source and target are the same machine.

on the 2nd link, I found some useful pointers. the relevant pointers are (all others are being complied with or are irrelevant in this situation)

• If the source is a Microsoft Exchange, SQL or other database server, VMware recommends that the database services be shut down prior to conversion. This minimizes any chance of corrupted database tables or stale data in the destination virtual machine. sql server is running on the machine, BUT this is a test run and I am not concerned with database corruption at this point

• Run the System Configuration Utility(msconfig) on the source server to reduce the number of services and applications running on startup, all software except for All Microsoft Services and VMware Converter Service. For more information, see Using the Windows System Configuration utility (1004010). Step not needed

• If you have static IP addresses assigned, assign the interfaces DHCP addresses prior to conversion, if possible. I do have static IPs

• Deselect the option to perform Customization on the virtual

machine. *I have not checked customization, especially because during

creation of the task Customization is N/A.*

• Deselect the option to install VMware Tools. THIS DID IT. i can always install it manually after deployment.

I will come back to relay the outcome of the deployment.

Thanks!

#####

Using VM Converter 4.0.1 161434

To convert Windows Server 2003 R2 32bit

Into VMware Server 2.x

0 Kudos