VMware Cloud Community
espi3030
Expert
Expert

Problem adding VM to inventory

I have a VM that was created in VMware server, when I try to add it to VC I get "VMname (Invalid)". Are VM's created in VMware Server not comatible with ESX servers?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

How are you adding it? You can't copy the vmx file, it won't work. You can copy the vmdk, but you have to do a migrate via the vmkfstools, then recreate the VM and use the existing VMDK.

VM converter is the best way to do this...

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert

I copied it via ssh, to the datastore. Then browsed the datastore in VC, right-clicked and selected "Add to Inventory". It takes me through the steps of selecting what datacenter to add it to, but when it completes I get (Invalid).

0 Kudos
OlivierTremolie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

If you create this VM on the ESX server, it is normal you can't import it in VC because all changes made on ESX server (like VM creation) doesn't appear in VC. So, if you create VM on ESX, you have to unregister this VM on the ESX (/usr/bin/vmware-cmd -s unregister <config_file_path>) and then add it on VC.

It should work.

Olivier

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Olivier ############### If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
ponpalani2001
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

I you need to import your vmdk to ESX server before adding it to inventory.

1. use vmksfstools -i /vmfs/sourcedisk /vmfs/destinationdisk to import

the copied vmdk files(incase HDD is SCSI)

2. If it is an HDD created by ide then use VMconvertor to convert to SCSI HDD.

3. Copy the .vmx file to the same data store.

3. Browse the datastore and add the vmx file to inventory.