VMware Cloud Community
cv1
Contributor
Contributor

Probelm adding VM machine onto domain

Hello all,

I am hoping someone here can help me with an issue I am currrently facing.

I have created an VMimage for my compnay to use. We are offshoring some activites and wanted to have the offshore company use their PC with my compnanies VM image loaded on to it. My company used Active Directory to create machine names before joinning to the domain. The Vm image is not able to join my companys domain. What things need to be considered to add the machine to my company's domain on this offshore company's PC? The error they are recieving is The following error occured attempting to join to the domain: XXX; The specified server cannot perform the requesed operation.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thank you

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LWong72
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here!!! Most likely a comminucation issue (network speed). I have a Domian controller and am running GSX on it. If I try to use a bridge connection it fails!! But if I use a "host only" connection it works. And remeber, this is on the same server!!! I would supect no one will help you on this. I'm gooing to try Microsoft's Virtural server product since there appears to be more support at this point. Good luck with you issues.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Firstly what Vmware Product are you using. secondly what OS is your guest using and what version is your ADS?

However Before you start pointing the fingers at VMware;) remember that a virtual machine operates in exactly the same manner as a physical one when attaching ot a domain, therefore things to consider

a: is your image unique, ie is it a syspreped image stripped of all SIDs and host name,

b: is your machine time correct?

c: is your DNS all fine and dandy, can phyiscal machine join the network and how are you attempting to join the domain, via XXX or XXX.com? if the latter drop the .com and just use the netbios name,

d: has replication occured and been verified?

if you found this post useful please consider the awarding of points.

Regards

Tom

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
LWong72
Contributor
Contributor

In my original reply, the VM product was stated as GSX. Downloaded within the last 2 day. The "single" AD controller is a brand new DL380 with the lastest version of Windows 2003 patches up to date. The guest O/S is Windows 2000 also patched up to date. Worked like a charm going through the host's NIC.

All worked well until I attempted to add the "guest" 2000 server to the domain. Nothing but time outs from the VM 2000 server. But as stated, once I put it on it's own "host" only connection, I was able to sucessfully join the domain. But placing it's NIC as "bridged" has it sitting in "start up" forever.

As for the your questions, here are the answers:

a. No unique image. loaded from CD.

b. Machine time sychonized with atomic clock.

c. DNS is fine and dandy. Have been joing PC's and "real" servers since making it a domain controller. Yes and have been using the "netbios" name not the XXX.local.

d. Since this is a "single domin controller "no" replication required.

Any help would be appreicated, but no points for any sugesstion thus far since they were no help. Will be trying MS Virtual server if nothing comes from this since after seaching the web and the VMWare knowlege base has not helped.

But what about the poor guy that's having the issue that started this thread? No help for him either?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

why are you using GSX? this is an end of life product,

your guest 2000 server, when it was in bridged mode had it got the correct IP Address range for the VLan it was attached to, had you done a ipconfig on the guest?

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
LWong72
Contributor
Contributor

End of life on GSX? Then why is VMWare still allowing downloads?

As for the correct IP address address range, it's a server and as with all best practices "is" statically assigned with the correct DNS and WINS settings. I've even disabled the adapter from within the guest O/S, started it up and it boots right up. Then when I enable it (from within the guest O/S) it can communicate. But this is definately "wrong"!!!

As for the correct VLAN....only one....the default VLAN that everything runs on since this is a small 25 person shop.

Still no points for anyone on this.

0 Kudos
cv1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

They are using VMWare workstation 6.0; the images were created with Vmware workstation 5.5

answers to questions below.

a. Yes

b. Yes

c. They havent tried to add host OS to domain as its there companies image; The Vmimage is my companies image.

d. Not sure. How do you verify this?

0 Kudos
LWong72
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think this forum is able to help unless your using "ESX". It appears that no help is availible since the questions your answering are based on ESX and nothing else.

0 Kudos