VMware Cloud Community
Lajosh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Prevent OS Customization to connect NIC

Hello,

I work on specific task, for which I need to deploy a new VM in offline mode, using same name as current production VM. In this offline VM I need to install specific SAP components, restore database from prod VM and bring the new VM offline, but once its all done.

Now my issue is - I use OS Customization for the new VM deployment, so it configures its hostname, IP and Workgroup. I start the VM with NIC Connect at Power on UNchecked, but once the VM triggers the OS Customization action it connects the NIC automatically, which leads to fact that the hostname is updated like MYHOSTNAME-0 (the -0 is added) because the VM obviously finds the cuurect production VM which already has the hostname I try to configure...

How can I avoid this? I need the OS Customization not to mess with my NIC adapter settings.

Thanks Leos

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lajosh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The offline upgrade I do is NEW Windows installation /clean OS/, so there is nothing to convert.

Anyway - I wrote a little script that starts the VM, waits for OS Customization to kick in and connect the NIC and then it will disconnect the NIC immediately. that solves the issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Instead of Guest OS Customization, what about converting the existing Production virtual machine using VMware Converter Standalone? https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=converter. With this, you can then configure the destination VM to not Power on so you have the exact copy of the Production virtual machine.

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
Lajosh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The offline upgrade I do is NEW Windows installation /clean OS/, so there is nothing to convert.

Anyway - I wrote a little script that starts the VM, waits for OS Customization to kick in and connect the NIC and then it will disconnect the NIC immediately. that solves the issue.

0 Kudos
tvered
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Cloud you share your script? Smiley Happy

Thanks,

0 Kudos