VMware Cloud Community
one3cap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Post P2V newb Question

I have been doing plan consolidation or hot P2V's lately successfully. Now after I am done what is the recommended? I see in device manager on my windows server there is ACPI multiprocessor because the physcial systems had dual procs. I also notice that my disk is bus logic and I do see LSI logic. Also there are USB ports that carry over to the vm's

These new vm's are one way procs..... do i need to change device manger to uniprocessor. Should I change my disk from bus logic to lsi logic? Should I remove the USB ports?

Any common practice or recommended post P2V task would be helpful. I just want to do it right to make sure my vm's are performing the best they can.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rockapot
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have a look at this link, and the site in general. It has loads of usefull resources http://vmware-land.com/Converter.html

Carl

khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There are some things you should clean up, but snapshot the server before you do it incase you remove anything that is critical to the box.

If you're moving from a physical 2 cpu box to a VM that has only 1vCPU then yes you'll need to change the HAL to uni-processor

USB isn't really supported (outside of a USB over IP) so you can remove all the USB compents

If you show hidden devices, remove the old scsi controllers

We have 2003 boxes running on BusLogic and LSI, I have heard that LSI is supposed to be faster for win2003 but changing the controller can render the VM useless sometimes, so definately make sure you have a backup of the server and/or snapshot it before you make that type of change.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This KB may be helpful as well http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004588

0 Kudos
atbnet
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Here is how to show the hidden devices and remove after P2V.

Andy, VMware Certified Professional (VCP),

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.
0 Kudos