VMware Cloud Community
rdkelly
Contributor
Contributor

Physical disk access from VM

I hope this isnt to naive - Ive read some other discussions on this but they were not exactly what I was thinking - I want to have a dedicated "D" drive that is physical within my vm - I dont need to share files with the host but I do want to launch an app from the D drive. The idea is I just need a VM to create a space to run the app but I dont need the overhead of having to write to the vmdk (i.e., I dont need to save anything in the event of a crash as the minor logging of the app would go directly to the D drive). Also, is there a command line config to change how often the memory gets written back to the vmdk?

TIA

rich

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

First off, what VMware product and version are you using?

What host OS, if a hosted product?

Realize that using physical partitions/disks is an advanced usage, and if done incorreclty has the very likely possibility of destroying your data and/or disk.

0 Kudos
rdkelly
Contributor
Contributor

Right - this is still in the planning stages but I will be using ESX3.5 running Windows 2003/8 VMs - and I realized I probably should have asked if this was possible - is there a way to create NTFS partitions that would be physical and could be mounted in a VM? and I know this is an advance feature - thats why I am trying to get more information on it

thanks again

rich

0 Kudos