zanmk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Performance monitoring from guest OS

Hi,

I was

wondering if there is any tools that can be used inside of a VM and is aware of

working in virtualized environment. It can be little misleading using Linux top

tool without regarding limits of CPU and memory setting. Maybe some interesting data can be gatherer with VMTools assist ?

regards

Martin

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

In vSphere the VMware metrics are available insidte the Windows perfmon. In general I would be careful with monitoring tools inside a guest if they rely on the guest virtual timer devices. There flow of time is not steady so the results might not be correct and the guest doesn't own a CPU all the time but the time continues to run.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
zanmk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know we can't rely on standard guest monitoring tools, that is what this question is about Smiley Happy But I was hoping there was a way to find some extended information, eg Ready value, from within guest.

regards

Martin

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

VMware dropped the in-guest-perfmon support with Update 175625. But to have it back download

http://ftpsite.vmware.com/download/drummonds/vmStatsProvider_006_release.exe

and run the install.bat.

Unfortunately %ReadyTime is not included as a parameter. But maybe you'll find something that helps.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
AnatolyVilchins

See content here - http://serverfault.com/questions/108753/performance-monitoring-from-guest-os.

Message was edited by: Dave.Mishchen…

Kind Regards, Anatoly Vilchinsky
0 Kudos
zanmk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anatoly,

I understand the idea of virtualization and I don’t question it. Sometimes having information about “real” performance data is very helpful. I’m not the only one seeking this functionality as from vSphere we have those “real” performance counters in Perfmon on Windows platform (3.5 had it in experimental status). Linux is a different case, not standard monitoring tools, just interface and SDK.

To give you more background on my question. My environment has few hundreds VMs, mostly Windows with growing number of Linux systems. What I want to do is provide administrators with utility that will be aware of underlying virtualization layer. That will give them ability for deeper performance analysis without using vSphere Client. Yes, I want to hide VMware layer as far as I can and make them use only guest level tools with little enhancements Smiley Wink

regards

Martin

0 Kudos