VMware Cloud Community
dmogan
Contributor
Contributor

Packet loss with Solaris 10 VM

Hello There,

Got another strange Solaris issue.

I have a Solaris 10 VM that consistently has about 20% packet loss.

I have worked with our network team to sniff traffic and they confirm that the switch delivers the lost packets but VM never recieves them.

I have ~30 other VM's (windows, linux and other Solaris) running on this host and none of them have problems. If I vmotion it to another esx host the problem follows the VM.

The networking setup is a virtual switch with 3 physical nics plugged into a single switch. We are using vlan tags.

Like i said above, I have other Solaris VMs built off of the same template running on this host that do not have this problem. I have tried about everything I can think of...changing hostname/IP. pinging from the VM to its gateway and from other physical/virtual machines on the same net. Still...consisten 20% packet loss when pinging.

I have opened an SR, but VMware does not have any suggestions.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

drew

0 Kudos
2 Replies
cheeko
Expert
Expert

What NIC do you use? vlance or vmxnet? Switch and see what happens could help maybe ...

0 Kudos
dmogan
Contributor
Contributor

Did not find out what the actual problem was...but added a second vNIC and moved the IP address...and problem went away.

I would like to say it was something about the physical NIC that the VM happened to be using...but we vmotioned this VM between multiple servers and the problem followed.

I do not think Solaris/vm is as baked as windows/vm.

drew

0 Kudos