VMware Cloud Community
Vmnair
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

P2V existing Windows 2003 two node exchange 2007 cluster

Hi,

I want to know how i can create a cluster from the P2v of my production windows two node cluster on a single esx4i host. This is only for lab and test purposes. The reason i did a P2v is i want to mimic my production environment and i want the production data.

I did a p2v of my production Windows 2003 64bit two node Exchange 2007 cluster. How can i reconfigure the disks (quorum,data) for the cluster?

i saw e lot of documents telling me to remove the disks and re create, but i want to keep the data.

Let me know if anybody has done the cluster P2v successfully.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I understand you want to keep the data - this guides will give you the necessary configurations for the vm nodes and the relavent storage - if you want to keep the two nodes of the cluster on seperate ESX boxes then you will have to maintain the quorum and shared data on physical SAN LUNs and use RDMs to connect tot he storage - if they can all exist on the same ESX server I would shute evrything down - P@V the primary node with the shared data and quorum disk and then P2V the secondary nodes system disk - in either case follow the configurations outlined in thsoe guides and you should be good to go -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You have two options to set a virtualized MSCS cluster - a cluster in a box or a cluster across boxes - here is the vmware guide for configuring an MSCS cluster in vSphere - http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40_u1/vsp_40_u1_mscs.pdf and for VI-3 -

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_mscs.pdf

0 Kudos
Vmnair
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I already refered this doc.

As i said i am doing a p2v of my environment. I want to preserve the data.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I understand you want to keep the data - this guides will give you the necessary configurations for the vm nodes and the relavent storage - if you want to keep the two nodes of the cluster on seperate ESX boxes then you will have to maintain the quorum and shared data on physical SAN LUNs and use RDMs to connect tot he storage - if they can all exist on the same ESX server I would shute evrything down - P@V the primary node with the shared data and quorum disk and then P2V the secondary nodes system disk - in either case follow the configurations outlined in thsoe guides and you should be good to go -

0 Kudos
Vmnair
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank You.

My cluster worked.

0 Kudos