VMware Cloud Community
soda0091
Contributor
Contributor

P2V Exchange 2003

I was planning on migrating on Exchange 2003 server into the VM environment. The server has two local drives (C: and D:) along with two ISCSI drives. There is a total of about 600G of data on the server. Has any one gone through this scenario and what is the preferred method to virtualize?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

I bet (correct me if I am wrong) that most of the 600Gb are on the iSCSI disks. If you can present this disks to the ESX Server, you will be able to attach them to the VM using RDM, and I would recommend this. Convert only the local drives.

If you convert everything into VMDK's, maybe you will loose performance on the ex-iSCSI disks, depending on how well you have your environment setup, and it will really take some time to complete, but should work anyway.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Technical Support Engineer

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
soda0091
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the quick reply. I don have about 300G worth of data on the 😧 drive which is an internal drive. The other 300G is on the ISCSI drives which were added to accomodate the growth. Does your suggestion still work or are there any other ideas?

Thanks,

Rob

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Sure there are other options, and no matter what you have on the iSCSI (300gb is a way lot data) it is still better to present the LUNs to the ESX and then present them as RDM to the VMs. I really think the conversion will be better this way.

If you have any trouble doing that don't hesitate to post a message here.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Technical Support Engineer

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos