VMware Cloud Community
Tepner
Contributor
Contributor

P2V Exchange 2003 Cluster with 1 failed node

I've read through most of the threads regarding P2V of exchange but worry as it is still technically a 'clustered' instance. I had an Exchange 2003 cluster with two nodes. One of the servers failed so we've just been running the still operational server. Eventually we'll do a clean install of 2007 or 2010 into or ESX environment and migrate, but the backend SCSI storage is forcing us to move forward with getting our exsisting exchange into our ESX.

I have no problem scheduling down time, our stores are only about 200 - 220 GB with seperate drives for logs etc. I total I would expect between 250 - 300 GB of actual data to be P2V. But as technically as far as the current server is concerned it's in a cluster will there be any issues in the P2V. Or as long as I maintain the drive lettering will it all go off without a hitch?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I can honestly say I don't know anyone who has ever done a p2v of exchange. I would definitley make sure exchange is offline during p2v process. On the bright side if it failed or something went wrong you could possibly just turn on the old exchange server and be somewhat ok.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos