VMware Cloud Community
Leeroyp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Orphaned VM template - ESX 3.01

I had an orphaned VM template which is now no more after reading article titled Orphaned VM in the forums. This advised that I remove the Orphaned VM from Inventory. It also suggested I need to navigate into the removed virtual machines folder and right click on the VM config file and add to inventory.

Where is the Removed virtual machines folder within VI client 2.01 and ESX 3.01 servers? Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcwill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You need open the datastore in the "Datastore Browser" this is normally achieved by double-clicking on the "drive icon" or datastore name.

This will then open a folder view of the contents of the datastore from where you can navigate into the necessary subfolder containing the raw files associated with each VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mcwill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

There is no "Removed virtual machines" folder, there is however the folder of the \[just] removed virtual machine.

Removing a VM from the inventory doesn't move it from it's existing datastore, navigate into the datastore the VM was originally created in and you should see the VM folder still present there.

Leeroyp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Within the VI client, I have changed the view to Datastore and selected my datastore "VMFS_DMX_118" where the VM template was last associated. I can see 3 tabs - Summary, Virtual Machines and Hosts. Neither of these tabs have the just removed vm present. Have a navigated into the correct area? regards

0 Kudos
mcwill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You need open the datastore in the "Datastore Browser" this is normally achieved by double-clicking on the "drive icon" or datastore name.

This will then open a folder view of the contents of the datastore from where you can navigate into the necessary subfolder containing the raw files associated with each VM.

0 Kudos