VMware Cloud Community
potthoff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Orphaned VM's on ESX server still running.

I have four ESX servers. Several VM's are showing orphaned and there aren't any VM's listed under Virtual Client for Server #2. When I use Virtual Client to connect directly to Server #2 it shows all my orphaned VM's and they are running. I have tried to disconnect and reconnect Server 2 from the Virtual client which says it worked but it still does not show the running VM's unless I connect directly to the server #2. The VM's will not migrate. There are two VM's that I would prefer not to shut off. I know how to add orphaned VM's back in if the the VM is off but is there anyway to move them to the other ESX servers without shutting them down?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dangsb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Instead of disconnecting remove the esx server from vc and then re-add the host to vc. Once you do this you may have a problem re-connecting the esx box through vc. If this happens ssh into the esx box and run this command as root "service mgmt-vmware restart" Afterwards you should be able to add the esx box to vc along with all the vms on the box up and running. This worked for me.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Byron_Zhao
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try to stop VirtualCenter service, and start it backup. It fixes this problem most of the time.

-BZ

0 Kudos
potthoff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The ESX server is in the list but still does not show any VM's running on it and the orphaned VM's are still there. I rebooted the managment server as well.

0 Kudos
johnpearson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had this problem once and the only thing that fixed it was a reboot of the ESX box. I know this probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but it works. I tried restarting services and a host of other things to no avail. -JP

0 Kudos
dangsb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Instead of disconnecting remove the esx server from vc and then re-add the host to vc. Once you do this you may have a problem re-connecting the esx box through vc. If this happens ssh into the esx box and run this command as root "service mgmt-vmware restart" Afterwards you should be able to add the esx box to vc along with all the vms on the box up and running. This worked for me.

0 Kudos
potthoff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This command fixed my problem.

"ssh into the esx box and run this command as root "service mgmt-vmware restart"

Only took a couple of minutes. Thanks to everyone who responded.

0 Kudos
XavierE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In my case I had to ssh into the esx box and run the command as root "service mgmt-vmware restart"

Additionally, I had to restart the VC service on the VC server.

(running ESX 3.5 U2, and VC 2.5 U2)

If this was helpful please assign points

0 Kudos