VMware Cloud Community
jurajfox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oracle Express

One of the DBAs here claims that Oracle Express is not supported on a VM. I can't find anything to support this online (e.g. VMware and Oracle's support statement) but wanted to make sure it's not the case.

Anywayone using Express or know where I can find a support statement specifically for this free version of the Oracle DB?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
rDale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ask your DBA to tell you what exactly is the difference between the core database engine in Oracle 10g and Express.

I run Oracle Express 10 for windows on ESX 301 and do not have any problems with it.

"Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE) is an entry-level, small-footprint database based on the Oracle Database 10g Release 2 code"

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Oracle Express is limited to one CPU, 1 GB RAM and 1 database of 4 GB. If you have a smaller farm you should be fine. See this link for database sizing. As to official support it'll mostlikely be the same case as with SQL Server Express where it is only supported for demo environments.

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=625387&#625387

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=67175

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Not sure about Oracle Express but we have not had any issues with running Oracle Enterprise as a VM. I would assume express should work fine as well.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
jurajfox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah we're not using Oracle Express for the VI3 database... we want to use Oracle Express for an application that will be virtualized. That is this instance of Oracle express will be running in a VM.

0 Kudos
jurajfox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, these are my thoughts exactly since the Oracle express is just a debilitated version of the full database I could not understand why it would not be supported in a VM.

0 Kudos
jurajfox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It could be that Oracle only supports it's enterprise product in a VM and not Express... but I can't seem to find such a support statement anywhere.

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

thanks for the helpful.

hopefully it works out for you and Oracle does support the express version.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
AVera
Contributor
Contributor

I setup Oracle Express 10.2 on VMware Worjkstation and it did not work. Maybe someone can try also. Here is what I did.

Setup VMWare Workstation - 6.5 Latest as of June 16, 2009 - Host is Windows XP 32 bit (also tried XP 64)

Created a 32 bit VM of Win 2003 ( also tried Win 2003 R2)

Did all of the Win 2003 updates, then installed Oracle Express.

Everything seems OK but when I do a reboot, I cannot connect to the database locally and remotely. I verfied that the services are running. Restarted the database with no luck.

The trigger seems to be when I set Oracle Express to "Allow remote HTTP" connections. After I do this the reboot breaks Oracle Express.

At tha point, I do a reinstall with the "Repair" option and all my data is there.

Anyone else have this experience? Or am I doing something wrong.?

Thanks

0 Kudos