VMware Cloud Community
felcy
Contributor
Contributor

On Vmware Data Recovery

Is VMware Data Recovery the same as Symantec NetBackup 7?

Suppose, I already have a virtualized environment in my production area. using 5 servers. I would like a Backup Solution, Disaster Recovery Solution.

IS using VMware Data Recovery Sufficient? What are the differences in features?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum. The Help forum is for questions about using the forums.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VDR allows you to simply back up the entire VM, there is support to allow recovery of individual files from a backup, but there are no agents for applications such as Exchange / SQL / Oracle etc.

VDR is also disk only backup you would need another product to offload to tape.

Netbackup on the other hand can have agents for application aware backups etc and does support tape, as well as protecting the entire VM with the VMware agent of course.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

I hope this helps
0 Kudos
felcy
Contributor
Contributor

So , For Netbackup,

: it supports both Disk and Tape

For VDR,

: it only supports Disk Backup? - Why do you still need a tape for storage? For extra Security?

: Its agentless, So there is more flexibility? Do not have restrictions?

Is Netbackup a much more costly investment than VDR? VDR uses disk backup, and disk backup is generally more expensive than tape backup.

Generally for 2 terabyte of data, how long would the backup be for the tape and the disk? Any idea?

0 Kudos
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes Netbackup will support both disk and tape.

The reason you may want to use tape is for offsite storage as an example should the building burn down. This may or may not be a consideration depending on your infrastructure setup, your storage may already be getting replicated to an offsite storage location.

Agents give you more flexibility when it comes to backing up and restoring data

I don't know the prices of Netbackup or the agents but yes I would imagine it to be a lot more expensive than VDR,.

VDR comes with Essentials Plus and Advanced editions and up, it can also be purchased separately for Standard licence servers.

Disk based backup can be cheaper than tape based backup depending on the setup.

I cant say how long it will take to backup 2TB of data it would depend an a great number of factors, including: type of storage / tape drive, type of backup, type of data being backed up (lots of small files or fewer large files), how the tape drive is attached to the storage, if it will be backed up over a network etc etc

Another thing I forgot to mention is that Netbackup allows for multiple schedules and types of backup, whether to disk or tape, as far as I am aware VDR allows for only one backup every 24 hours the first being a full backup, the others being delta backups.

There are a lot of things to consider when choosing a backup technology, the most important are the RPO and the RTO, these sould dictate the decisions you make initially.

I hope this helps

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

I hope this helps
0 Kudos