VMware Cloud Community
Adrian1000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Newbie Backup Question

Hello

I have recently installed VMware player and installed XP Professional onto it. I am running Vista Home Premium.

I am fairly religious about backup. If my computer was to die, it would be great to know I can import/restore a file off my backup to enable me to carry on using my virtual copy of XP.

Therefore can someone kindly advise which files I need to backup and which ones I would need to restore to another machine.

Many thanks in advance.

Adrian

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Actually it's the vmx file, but yes, it's that easy.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Communities,

VMware makes it easy to backup VMs. By default all files which belong to a VM are stored in one folder. All you have to do is to backup these folders (with the VM's powered off).

André

petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thats basically why i had been doing in either a personal workstation or vmware server environment.

www.phdvirtual.com, makers of PHD Virtual Backup for Vmware and Xen Server, formally esXpress

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
pauljawood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Adrian1000,

Welcome to the boards and I hope you find all the information that you need. In reference to your question I would point to to the folder you have saved your virtual machines in. The complete virtual machine will be stored under a folder and made up of a few files (vmdk, vmx etc.).

To make a copy (back up) of your virtual machine then all you need to do is copy the entire folder to your preferred storage media and you have a backup.

-

If you found this helpful then please leave some points.

If you found this helpful then please leave some points.
Adrian1000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

First of all, many thanks indeed for all of your most helpful answers.

Is it really that simple? All I have to do is restore my backed up folder to a new machine and open up the vmdk file (from the VMWare player interface). This is too good to be true!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Actually it's the vmx file, but yes, it's that easy.

André

0 Kudos
Adrian1000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thanks indeed Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks for the helpful and good luck with your environment

www.phdvirtual.com, makers of PHD Virtual Backup for Vmware and Xen Server, formally esXpress

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos