VMware Cloud Community
CUNYIT17
Contributor
Contributor

New Hard disk size is limited to 15.81 TB

Hi,

We are running Vcenter 6.0 on EXSi 6.0 Host, We are using NetApp to manage the data stores. I have created a datastore volume of 32TB and would like to assign it to one of the VMs, when i go to Vcenter webclient or even to the EXSi host which has the VM to add a Hard disk on that VM through VM settings, it is not letting me create a disk larger than 15.81 TB. can someone please provide some guidance.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

this sounds as if you are using NAS/NFS storage, and the storage system only supports file sizes up to ~16TB. Please check with the Netapp documentation.

André

0 Kudos
CUNYIT17
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

I was able to create a NFS storage Volume of 37TB, so there is no limitations there, it is just i cant create a hard disk larger than 16TB on the VM that i want to assign this data storage volume to.

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That's what I thought. It's actually a limitation of your Netapp storage system, which limits file sizes to 16TB, and a virtual disk is a .vmdk file on the file system.

For storage limits see e.g. ONTAP 9 Documentation Center

André

0 Kudos
CUNYIT17
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

This is really confusing, how is storage system limiting the size of the disk on a VM? according to the VM configuration maximum guide (attached) i should be able to create a Virtual disk size up to 62 TB.

Please clarify.

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Although VMware supports virtual disks of up to 62GB, the limiting factor is the storage on which the VM's files are stored, i.e. which doesn't allow to create a .vmdk file (which represents the virtual disk) in that size.

It's basically like a driving a car. Even with a Porsche you are bound to speed limits, if you drive in a city, aren't you?

André

0 Kudos