VMware Cloud Community
Enafets
Contributor
Contributor

Networking problem

Hi there,

I have a guest VM : Suse Linux 64, using E1000 network adapter. I configured it using a static IP address.

I can PING it from my PC (Windows XP) and i can access it using HTTP (apache installed on it) but when i try to access from Linux to my PC, i can't, the PING from the linux always use the LOOPBACK interface ... not the Eth0 ...

Any idea ?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Check the windows firewall service - it can block return ICMP packets -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Enafets
Contributor
Contributor

This is a Linux, not a Windows, and when the linux PING another IP address, it used its loopback interface (127.0.0.1) and not its Ethernet interface (eth0) ... And i don't understand why ?

0 Kudos
juchestyle
Commander
Commander

Try removing the nic, rebooting and adding it back.

Second, try adding a second nic.

Kaizen!

Kaizen!
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

As I understand the problem occurs when you try to ping from the SuSe VM to your XP workstation so if the windows firewall service is running on your xp workstation it will block the return ping even form the loopback -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Enafets
Contributor
Contributor

The problem has been resolved reinstalling the full vm ... and it was a driver or ETH adapter problem, not a Firewall problem (same thing pinging the gateway)

thx for the answers Smiley Happy

0 Kudos