VMware Cloud Community
mstrfixit
Contributor
Contributor

Network simulation Question

I am not certain that I am posting this in the right location but I essentially need to do the following:

I require 3 nodes, The first node to be a test client node, which for the purposes of this excersise is used to perform web request. A server Node which is used to handle those requests and in between those two nodes a single node used for DPI that acts as a "Bump in the wire". I.e. it acts as a network bridge and behaves no different than puttin a crossover cable between the client node and the server node, and therefore has no IP addresssing to speak of. Is this sort of functionality possible with the existing network capabilities of vmware?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

You can perform this easily with ESX. There is a free version you can download and install here: https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/

Any help you need installing, learning, etc, you can find useful information on docs: http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vs_pages/vsp_pubs_esxi40_u1_e_vc40_u1.html

And, obviously, here with us on the community. By the way, be welcome!

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Technical Support Engineer

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
mstrfixit
Contributor
Contributor

I am familier with ESX, GSX (Server) and workstation. Your answer is telling me to install it and where to find the documentation, which is fine, but ESX comes at a very high price and I would not be able to run it past the trial period.

I am still uncertain how you use one VM as a bridged device acting as a network element between two other distinct VM's, if you know where that can be found in the documentation (I have been unable to find it!) that would be most helpful.

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

ESXi have a free version, you can use it as long as you want, there is no problem at all. I would recommend it because the network layer is very flexible.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Technical Support Engineer

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos