VMware Cloud Community
klsitton
Contributor
Contributor

Network not working after Windows 2000 SP4 P2V

Hello.  I have recently virtualized an old Windows 2000 Professional machine running an HMI in a specific application.  Computer is air gapped with barriers to outside attachment.  Virtualization makes sense given that parts from cretacious period are getting harder to come by, and some of the software is propietary.

Virtualization went ok and the VM runs smoothly EXCEPT for the networking.  I have tried to uninstall / reinstall the TCPIP protocol, and rebuild of Winsock, but am having no joy in getting network connectivity.  I can ping the host, and both adapters on another running VM on the VMWare VLAN.  Yet no connectivity to the outside world.

VMTools is current.  Microsoft KB835732 is installed.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DurhamNeil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you checked VMware Compatibility Guide - Guest/Host Search

You don't have an unsupported NIC type selected in the VM Hardware settings do you?

Good luck though!

VCP-DVC 2022 & CCNA
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

You may want to check if the previous NIC in the physical machine became a ghost NIC in the VM,

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1179

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1012255

klsitton
Contributor
Contributor

Ok........Returning after some time spent in lab conditions.  Thanks for your attention here.  It finally got through my tungsten carbide skull that being a virtualized P2V it might have some ports shut off.  I can ping all VLAN devices hanging off the network.  I configured another VLAN to directly bridge a physical adapter.  I found I could ping the AP.  And IE could find the AP's webserver.  But I still could not find ANY outside websites.  IP resolution was there because I could ping a www.???????.com website but could not get to it via IE.  Extremely frustrating.  But then the sun rose.  Being a specific machine designed to be air gapped a long time ago, it had to have a TON of ports locked down.  And so, unfortunately, I have been for the last couple of days, tilting at windmills.  It is all good.

Thanks for the attention, and sorry for my brain flatulence.

0 Kudos
robc_yk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Always been hesitant of a P2V. I know it's possible and used regularly,  I've just always preferred to build new. Too many times I've seen them done and not had the physical hardware or software tools removed and then I've had to troubleshoot for the clients.....

I treat upgrades the same. New VM's, less chance of carrying over a hidden issue..

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

@klsitton wrote:

And IE could find the AP's webserver.  But I still could not find ANY outside websites.  IP resolution was there because I could ping a www.???????.com website but could not get to it via IE. 

If IE cannot connect to any website despite being able to ping them, chances are it is a TLS1.2 protocol issue. Most public websites now require https and TLS1.2. If I am not mistaken, at minimum IE8 is needed for TLS1.2 and it probably won't work with Windows 2000.

0 Kudos