VMware Cloud Community
kac2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Network not working after Windows 2000 SP4 P2V

It has been a roller coaster getting this machine virtualized.

A little background: This machine is Windows 2000 SP 4 with update Rollup 1. After installing Update Rollup 1 I tried virtualizing it and it gets to 97% and then i get the error message " vmware agent has encountered an error". When I try to boot the machine I get a BSOD with an inaccessible_boot_device error.

After reading through a bunch fo threads I found a solution by reconfiguing the virtual machine so it will boot. So now I have a virtual machine that will boot.

Now my problem is that networking isn't functioning at all. I have removed the network adapter, added a new one, tried static and dhcp, gone through the Add/Remove Programs and uninstalled every HP and Compaq device, gone through the Device Manager and removed every HP and Compaq driver or component, rebooted countless times and I'm still ending up with no network connectivity.

The network adapter on the VM says it's connected and it says it's recieving, but not sending. It's not pulling a DHCP address and a static address gets no where also.

I have over 50 VMs so I know it isn't a problem with my network, this has to be on the VM itself. I don't know what else to try and I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
26 Replies
kac2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Following the steps from this article did it!!! YAAA!!

To repair

network or modem connectivity issues, follow these steps:

1. Remove TCP/IP.

2. Delete the Bind registry value, the Tcpip subkey, the Winsock subkey, and the WinSock2 subkey.

3. Reinstall TCP/IP.

Step 1: Remove TCP/IP

loadTOCNode(2, 'moreinformation');

Remove TCP/IP for the local area connection. To do this, follow these steps.

Note Before you remove TCP/IP, make a note of the IP and the DNS settings.

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Network and Dial-up Connections.

2. Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.

3. In the Components checked are used by this connection list, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

4. Click Uninstall, and then in the Uninstall Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) dialog box, click Yes.

5. When you are prompted to restart your computer, click Yes.

Step 2: Delete the Bind registry value, the Tcpip subkey, the Winsock subkey, and the WinSock2 subkey

To delete the Bind registry value, follow these steps.Important

This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to

modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you

modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow

these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry

before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem

occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the

registry, click the following article number to view the article in the

Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756

(

)

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. In the left pane, expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and then expand SYSTEM.

3. Expand CurrentControlSet, and then expand Services.

4. Expand lanmanserver, and then click Linkage.

5. In the right pane, right-click Bind, and then click Delete.

6. In the Confirm Value Delete dialog box, click Yes.

7. Expand lanmanworkstation, and then click Linkage.

8. In the right pane, right-click Bind, and then click Delete.

9. In the Confirm Value Delete dialog box, click Yes.

To delete the Tcpip, the Winsock, and the WinSock2 registry subkeys, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. In the left pane, expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and then expand SYSTEM.

3. Expand CurrentControlSet, and then expand Services.

4. Right-click Tcpip, click Delete, and then in the Confirm Key Delete dialog box, click Yes.

5. Right-click Winsock, click Delete, and then in the Confirm Key Delete dialog box, click Yes.

6. Right-click WinSock2, click Delete, and then in the Confirm Key Delete dialog box, click Yes.

7. Restart your computer.

Step 3: Reinstall TCP/IP

Reinstall TCP/IP back to the local area connection that you removed it from. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Network and Dial-up Connections.

2. Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.

3. Click Install, click Protocol in the Click the type of network component you want to install list, and then click Add.

4. In the Network Protocol list, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.

Note Replace the IP and the DNS settings with the values that you made note of at the beginning of the "Remove TCP/IP section."

Thanks for the help everyone!!

0 Kudos
joemath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

kac2,

Thanks for posting your solution.

I encountered similar networking issues this weekend while trying to virtualize a Win2k Pro SP4 machine. KB837333 fixed the problem.

--Joe

0 Kudos
Eldron01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

kac2,

Thank you very much for sharing this find. It saved me a lot of time.

0 Kudos
thetootall
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had a similar experience this weekend - performed a P2V of 2 Compaq servers, both Windows 2000 server. I make sure before the P2V process to remove all of the Compaq/HP software and services yet there still seemed to be some remnants left over even with everything looked clear. The Microsoft KB definitely did the trick - thanks for your persistence to find a resolution and more importantly post what the fix was!

0 Kudos
klsitton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the issue, but this procedure has not alleviated it.  I have reinstalled VMWare Tools, reinstalled the network device, deleted and reinstalled the TCP/IP protocol and registry keys several times, but cannot get connectivity.  I can ping other VMs I have running, and ping the host gateway, but still no internet connectivity beyond the host.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Start your own thread rather than resurrect one that was last active 12 years ago?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
klsitton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sure, I can do that.  I just wanted the history.

0 Kudos