VMware Cloud Community
ganbidada
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Network driver for the ethernet adapter in win2k8

What is the driver for the ethernet adapter used by VMware for a windows guest os?.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The entry ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000" configures the virtual machine to use the Intel Pro/1000 MT Server Adapter compatible virtual network adapter instead of the AMD PCnet-PCI II compatible virtual network adapter.

Some of the newer OS's do not include a device driver for the older AMD PCnet-PCI II compatible virtual network adapter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter driver will work fine. It'll be available once you install VMware Tools into the W2K8 VM.

0 Kudos
ganbidada
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the tip..i am trying that but i am getting an 'internal error occured'.

i selected the operating system as 'other - 32bit' while creating the vm..i presume that should work for win2k8?.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I've used the Windows 2003 Enterprise or Standard setting instead. When are you getting the error message?

ganbidada
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I get the error when i try to install vmware tools. I get the first screen popup about better graphics etc but after i click on ok i get the 'internal error occured' message.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'd imagine that Win2008 requires the e1000 virtual nic, just like Vista does.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is your virtual network adapter in the .vmx file configured to use the e1000 ?

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

If not, you may want to change it to use the "e100" since you will most likely be able to find the driver in the Win 2k8 install CD

0 Kudos
ganbidada
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks!

I see that the "ethernet0.virtualDev" field is not present in any of my working w2k3 machines either..just curious about it..what does this achieve?.

I will try this out in the meanwhile...

thanks!

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The entry ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000" configures the virtual machine to use the Intel Pro/1000 MT Server Adapter compatible virtual network adapter instead of the AMD PCnet-PCI II compatible virtual network adapter.

Some of the newer OS's do not include a device driver for the older AMD PCnet-PCI II compatible virtual network adapter.

0 Kudos