VMware Cloud Community
jcayer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Network Connectivity Problems

I'm mid-upgrade and having a big network problem. I've cold migrated all my VMs to a new install of 3.0.2. I upgraded the hardware and reinstalled VMware tools. There is nothing I can do to get the VMs to see outside the ESX server. The server is a dl385 g1. NIC0 is the service console, NIC1 our local network. VMs are set to connect at boot and are connected since they can ping each other. The hardware on this box worked fine before I upgraded. There are additional NICs in the box, and I setup another switch, plugged it into our network, moved a VM to it and it couldn't see anything. I have tried rebooting, but not shutting down. At this point, I'm looking for some guidance before Monday.

Thanks.

Josh

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What if you create a port group on vSwitch0 and basically connect a VM to the service console network. Does this work?

Also, are you using VLAN tagging?

If not, don't assign the VLAN ID to the portgroup or you won't be able to access the network.

If you are using VLANs, ensure you've assigned the correct tag

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What if you create a port group on vSwitch0 and basically connect a VM to the service console network. Does this work?

Also, are you using VLAN tagging?

If not, don't assign the VLAN ID to the portgroup or you won't be able to access the network.

If you are using VLANs, ensure you've assigned the correct tag

0 Kudos
jcayer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm hesitant to connect anything to the service console port. That being said, I have considered it, but not tried it.

We are not using any VLANing.

Thanks.

Josh

0 Kudos
jcayer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I took your advice and added it to the Service Console vswitch. The service console is on the same lan. Pings work fine. I went so far as to completely delete the Vswitch I was using and recreate it. Still no dice. I'm tempted to add the second gigabit nic I have to the service console vswitch, but that's just bandaiding a problem. Anyone else got any better ideas? I went in and rebuilt the server these VMs came off of, so I can migrate them back if I must.

Josh

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To be honest I'd be looking at the physical network connections from the outbound adapters used by the virtual machines.

If you've not configured VLANs and you know the virtual machines can connect using the service console network, it's most likely that the problem exists somewhere on the physical side.

Double check the configuration of the physical switch. Are the ports configured for the correct VLANS? Are the speed and duplex settings correct?

jcayer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There is not much to troubleshoot there. At first, the VMs NICs were plugged into a 100Mbit Netgear unmanaged switch. The SC is plugged into a gigabit Extreme. Unfortunately, all the ports on that are used. When I initially had the problem, I ran a long wire across the computer room and plugged one of the VM nics into it and the other end into the core switch. The netgear is not capable of VLANing and I do not believe the core switch has any setup.

At this point, it looks like my only alternative is to move all the VMs back to the box they were on.

Thanks for the weekend help.

Josh

ps I will award you some helpful points.

0 Kudos
jcayer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well Mr T, looks like you were right, I tried yet another pair of network cables, going to a different switch, and they seem to be working fine. Thanks again. Now I just have to figure out what's wrong on the other switches.

Thanks again

Josh

0 Kudos
nburte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a problem. I have installed ubuntu(Linux) on VMWARE. my host(base) OS is windows XP. I can ping to other machines from ubuntu but other machines cant ping. It says, host unreachable.

Why is it so?

0 Kudos