VMware Cloud Community
MrBaba
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Need to activate Windows licence Key after memory allocation !

Hello, I got one VM who's running under Windows 2003 server.

I whant to allocate more RAM to this VM so I edit settings and allocate more memory RAM (512 -> 1024)

But after, when I reboot it say's to me "you're computer hardware change a lot since the last boot, you need to re-activate windows on it before the next 3 days."

I've never had this problem before, VM runs on Esx 3.5 last build with good licence file.

Is there a way fixe that ???

Thank you all !!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

Hi, by any chance when you powered the vm back up did DRS kick in and boot it on a different ESX host with a different processor family?

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
MrBaba
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey !

Thanks for reply,

In fact it's impossible that DRS kick my VM to another esx when booting because the second Host in the DRS pool is turned off, moreover the two host got exactly the same hardaware configuration (same server same RAM same processor .....)

But, to be sure i'm gona power on the other Host and try starting with this new one !!

so thanks for you're idea I'm gona try it !

If someone got another idea !!! ........

Thanks, Mr Baba !

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is this by chance an OEM license copy of windows? If so even slight changes to the "hardware" even if it is just settings within the VM can cause the windows os to see hardware changes which can trigger the activation. Regardless you're going to need to call up Microsoft and reactivate it. When you do call in make sure you don't mention anything virtual and you just added ram into the physical box, you say anything that leads it to be on a virtual box and they'll give you the finger and say too bad.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos