VMware Cloud Community
BSI-Miami
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Need some help - Unable to edit a VM's settings

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me out. I have lost the ability to edit a VMs settings and i dont know why. Heres what happened

I connect directly to the host server using the VIC as root. I was attempting to add a second pNic into the vSwitch where all my VMs are connected to. I accidentally moved the Service Console pNic into this vSwitch and lost connectivity to the server. No big deal, i can correct this by using esxcfg-vswitch command directly on the console of the host. So i did. I added back the correct pNics to their respected vSwitches. Now here is when the problem started. I now log onto the host using the VIC as root but now i cannot edit the settings of all my VMs.

Has anyone ran into this type of scenario? What should i do? I want to edit the VMs to connect to a different vSwitch but i am stuck. When i look at Permissions for each VM it states that I (root) has administrator access.

Please help!

Thanks,

Leo

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
postfixreload
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

do a cat on authorization.xml

compare that with a working server. If you see any different then copy the other servers file to replace this one.

See if this can help

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BSI-Miami
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

anyone? anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?

0 Kudos
rmuniz9336
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I ran into something simaler, and unfortunatly the only answer I've got is to delete it from inventory, and then set up a new machine, directing it towards the exisiting hard disk.

Not the best solution, and can get a little confusing when you look at your folders and etc.

0 Kudos
postfixreload
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

do a cat on authorization.xml

compare that with a working server. If you see any different then copy the other servers file to replace this one.

See if this can help

0 Kudos
BSI-Miami
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much! That did the trick! just had to reboot the host once i copied over the file and all is good!

Lessons learned: Create a port group first, assign your VMs to the new port group and THEN team the nics together on the same vSwitch the service console is.

-Leo

Message was edited by:

BSI-Miami

0 Kudos
postfixreload
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Good to know. In fact you can just run "service mgmt-vmware restart" instead rebooting the server Smiley Happy

BSI-Miami
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

awesome! good to know for future reference! thanks again!

0 Kudos