VMware Cloud Community
kjg19
Contributor
Contributor

Need help setting a VM as an NTP server from an external NTP server

I currently have our network pointing to a single server (which happens to still be a physical machine) as our NTP server. That server is not retrieving time from an outside source. I am trying to decommission that machine but need to set up a new NTP server before I can do that. I want to make one of my virtual machines the new NTP server and I want it to synchronize with an external NTP server. How can I go about doing this? Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the VI: Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum.

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
nabsltd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

First, if you want to run ntpd in a VM, you need to make sure that the VM config is correct. If you are running ntpd in a *nix VM, see this KB article for the settings you need to make. In all cases, you do not want the VM to sync its time with the ESX host.

After that, it's a matter of editing the ntp.conf to sync time from an external host. The default ntp.conf for most Linux distributions is a good start for this, but you can also pick your own time sources by looking at the docs at ntp.org.

0 Kudos
mvarre
Contributor
Contributor

there is a free pre-built appliance that has a small footprint and single function as an ntp server. very simple and very easy to use: http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/210

0 Kudos
nabsltd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That appliance has some notes that implies that it is not configured for ESX, but only for Workstation.

0 Kudos
mvarre
Contributor
Contributor

i havent had any problems on esx3.5

0 Kudos