VMware Cloud Community
zeta59
Contributor
Contributor

Need help in opening Microsoft Access database in Virtual Machine

Hi all, does anyone know what is the requirement to open Microsoft Access Database in a virtual machine? Does it even support Mircosoft Office Access? As i did try to open my database file from a CD-ROM in the virtual machine, but it prompt me error in opening. Do i need to install any files to support in order to open my database file from the CD-ROM in the virtual machine?

ForYourInfo, my virtual machine is operating on Window 2003 Server.

Thks in advance Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - there us nothing special you need to do to open an Access database in a VM other than install MS Access in the VM - you will need to make sure the cd-rom is attached t and connnected to the VM by checking the VMs settings and making sure the vm is connected and pointing at the approriate device

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
zeta59
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thks for fast reply

Yup, im sure that the VM is power on and the CD is connected to the VM, and i had install Microsoft Office Access, but i still face problem opening it. Somehow, it does not auto detect the program, Micosoft Access from opening my database. Then i proceed on by manually selecting it to open with Microsoft Access but it prompt me this,

thefilename.accdb is not valid Win32 application. What does it mean?

Is there a problem with my CD-ROM or with the program?

thks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

What version of MS Access have you installed into your VM - .accdb is only supported by MS Access 2007 -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
zeta59
Contributor
Contributor

I guess i overlook this, because i installed Microsoft Office 2003 in the VM and formally, the database file which i copy from, is in Mircrosoft Office 2007 format, but i did save it again as 2003 format. Well, maybe i shld try to install Microsoft Office 2007 and try out.

Thks again Smiley Happy

Another question i not sure about, we are creating a database application for future use, which my project is trying out now. But i am wondering what other application i need to install in order to run the database application online , like a website, which let users to browse and use. In the meantime, as the database is not finalise yet( which my grp member is working on it), so i am not able to carry on, so im using the interval to gather some information.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Just treat your VMs as you would physical machines - so if you need IIS running instal the Windows O/S you want and enable IIS - and it all shoudl work -

0 Kudos
zeta59
Contributor
Contributor

Alright ! Thks alot for ur help Smiley Happy

0 Kudos