VMware Cloud Community
GerardCC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Need for VirtualCenter to install vmware tools on guest OS?

Hi,

Newbie question (I guess): installed ESX server 3.0, made virtual guest OS (W2003), which runs fine. But no VMware tools installed. Seems I need a a VirtualCenter for that purpose.

1) Do I need a the VMTools installed?

2) Do I need a VirtualCenter (to get them installed)?

3) Installed the VirtualCenter on (another) W2003, got a webpage with virtual infrastructure web access (is this the VirtualCenter). It asks for Login name/pwd. Anyone an idea what to fill-in here (guess I missed something during setup)?

Thanks for any help,

Gerard

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you right click on a VM and select install VMware Tools, it mounts an ISO image to the VM for the install process. You could then just copy those files out and then copy them to a network share, push them to your VMs with whatever install package you use, etc.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dpomeroy
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You do want the VMware Tools installed.

You do not need VirtualCenter to do this.

Try the local administrator account to connect to VC. Also, the VI Web Access has limited functionality, you probably want to install the VI3 Client and use that to connect to VC.

Don Pomeroy

VMTN Communities User Moderator

GerardCC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the answer!

What is the (another) way to get the VMTools installed?

BTW: the installation of the Virtual Infrastructure Client takes a lot of time (to register the product > 15min.)

Gerard

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you right click on a VM and select install VMware Tools, it mounts an ISO image to the VM for the install process. You could then just copy those files out and then copy them to a network share, push them to your VMs with whatever install package you use, etc.

0 Kudos