VMware Cloud Community
Nautilus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NTP Time synch interval

Hi All,

what is s time interval to synch time with the NTP Server on VI3.x

The reason for this question is the following issue.

- NTP Server is configured (VMware KB Artikel)

- NTPD restarted and checked the time and everything works fine no error messages

I check the time after 2-3 Weeks and the time on my VI3 Hosts is not synchron with my NTP Server ?

and when i restart the NTPD the will be synchronised again (until 1-2-3 weeks ..)

Now i dont know whats going wrong. I see this issue in more than one environment.

Thanks

Nautilus

Kind regards Nautilus ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
7 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

are you sure both /etc/ntp.conf and /etc/ntp/step-tickers contain the ntp server?

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

0 Kudos
Nautilus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes i do this

NTP Server is configured (VMware KB Artikel)

Kind regards Nautilus ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

When the drift gets too far ahead or behind, then automatic NTP fails. Are you putting your vm into a suspended state? If you don't see any logs, then your vm is drifting more than usual. Does your vm get out of sync after a reboot? Do you have the tools installed, and are you sync'ing time at vm start?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Nautilus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The time on the ESX Hosts running out of snyc.

all the guest are sync the time NOT with the Host

The NTP Server config cannot be wrong because when i restart the NTPD everything is ok. No failure messages. But after some days or weeks the time on the VI3 Hosts is not ok !

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Are you running vmware tools? Make sure that you don't use vmware tools to sync the time, or to make sure that you are not already sync'ing with the esx server. Check this thread: http:///communities.vmware.com/thread/93541

It basically states to look at KB article: KB2219.

-KjB

0 Kudos
Nautilus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi KjB,

i know i am not a native english speaker and my english bad enough, but......

1. the time with the VMs are ok !

2. The Time on my HOSTS are drifting out of sync

maybe you can tell me how can install vmware tools on the host ?

3. The VMs are not sync'ing with the Host

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

lol. I needed that, I kept picking up vm's instead of hosts. I guess my mind was wandering. Sorry about that.

Are you using the same ntp config, if any, for your host as with VM?

Does the time drift occur with a reboot, or even without a reboot? Have you checked the system clock on your ESX host to validate it has the correct time?

-KjB

0 Kudos