VMware Cloud Community
daunce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

NLB & ESX 3.5

Hi,

Had a look around, and there's a few threads on this topic, but not any that answered my question.

I've set up 2 VM's on the same host using NLB with multicast, and having the usual problems of not being able to ping the nlb ip from outside of that subnet. From what i've read, i need to make changes on the switch, but as I dont have access to the switch, is it possible to make a change like this on the virtual switch within ESX?

I thought having a virtual switch, I could make these types of changes.

Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You have to create a static arp entry, containing the multicast mac address and cluster IP, in what- ever L3+ device the cluster is using as next- hop or default gw.

That you can't do using a virtual switch...

/Rubeck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You have to create a static arp entry, containing the multicast mac address and cluster IP, in what- ever L3+ device the cluster is using as next- hop or default gw.

That you can't do using a virtual switch...

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
pgerritse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Correct me if im wrong, but isnt this problem solved by setting the portgroup on the vswitch to "Notify Switches=No"

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

Moved to Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos