VMware Cloud Community
blvsupport
Contributor
Contributor

My VM servers network are slower than my physical servers

Hi let me explain my setup first. I have a IBM Blade Center 8677-2XX with 4 ESX Server 3.5 all patch and 2 Windows 2003 Servers. So 6 blades All my blade us 2 NICS that are in my Blade Center. And each NIC have 4 network ports

When i run QCHECK from my host to those 2 physical servers i get alot of speed and when i run QCHECK from my host to any vm i get aproximatly half of the speed (see my pictures)

Same thing when im coping file from my pc to the windows physical machines is really fast and when i copy file from my host to any vm it's not (half speed approximatly again)

In the network settings of my DataCenter in Vmware Infrastructure Client, I have one NIC user for the VMOTION and the other one is for my VIRTUAL SWITCH. Each NIC are seen as 1000 Auto

The switch is configure Auto also

Any ideas ?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have vmware tools installed into the VMs? Also, I would fix the speed and duplex of the physical NICs in your ESX host unless the physical switch requires auto negotiate -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

You have to take into account 'VIRTUAL'.

EVERYHING in a VM is virtualized, the CPU, disk controller, NIC, and Memory. They are basically software emulations of the physical counterparts, so yeah it's going to be slow.

Slow is also relative. It's not an abosolute term, and it depends on your VM platform (CPU, Memory, Number of VM's, type of controller SAS/SATA, disk configuration, etc..).

Everything you do from within a VM is vritualized, you don't have direct access to the drives, so if you copy a file to a VM you are going over a virtualized NIC (turned into a switch) to a virtualized IO backplane, to a vritual layer of the disk, through virtual memory (depending on the VM, this could be too low, causing memory swap) ALL handled by a CPU that is virtualized by the VM Server, which oily gives a time slice of the overall CPU cycle.

So yeah it's going to be significantly slower, there are many variables, and any or ALL of them can affect traffic. Dedicated machines can control the stream better because they have exclusive access to controller and IO interrupts. VM's don't.

So data in that scenario may be slowed by the disk, or CPU inside the VM, we don't know.. but EVERYTHING should be considered, not just that NIC or the speed.

0 Kudos
MHAV
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

there are some issues about USB and NIC sharing the same Interrupts on ESX-Server.

What you do is to disable the USB on ESX-Server. You can disable the USB-Support in the modules.cfg File.

Just put a # in front of both USB lines in the modules.cfg, save the file and restart the ESX-Server.

Regards

Michael

Regards Michael Haverbeck Check out my blog www.the-virtualizer.com
0 Kudos
wpatton
Expert
Expert

What does the guest OS see for a network connection speed?

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
blvsupport
Contributor
Contributor

weinstein5: Yes tools are installed and i did change the auto to 1000 Full Duplex

on my switch and on my host but still the same thing

MHAV: Where can i find that files modules.cfg ?

WPATTON: Guest OS show speed of the network card at 1000

Thanks all for helping

0 Kudos