VMware Cloud Community
zeta59
Contributor
Contributor

My VM is already using up all the disk space size?

Hi all, i am facing this problem, whereby my VM is already using up the given disk space size i allocated for it ( which is 6gbs )

I am currently working on a project and i need to install apache, mysql, php and dreamweaver into the VM for later integration. But now the VM have barely less than 1gbs left after i installed the above application.

Now i wonder , how much actually i need to allocate to my VM? And currently i am using the datastores from a blade server, but isnt a blade server serves the purpose of optimising the space for users? But i dont understand if i am going to use like one third of the datastores, it doesnt make sense to me that the blade server serve its purpose?

Am i doing it in the right way?

Can someone enlighten me? Thanks !

0 Kudos
9 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Blade servers within an ESX environment are almost ALWAYS connected to some type of storage (such as a fibre channel SAN for example). The SAN has disk presented to the ESX servers so vmfs volumes (in most cases) can be used for the storage of virtual machines.

I hope this is helping answer your question as I didn't completely understand what you were asking.....

In regards to a 6GB VM.... yes it's too small. 20+ GB would be a minimum in my opinion.

What are the size of the vmfs volumes on the blade?

0 Kudos
zeta59
Contributor
Contributor

My datastores in the blade system is around 63 gbs. If like what you have said, 20gbs will be the min, that mean only 3? user can use the blade system? It doesnt make sense when a blade system can only be use by 3 user? Am i right to say so?

I am rather confused

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes that is correct - it's a waste of a blade to have only 3 VM's run on....... unless it's your test system and you've got a ridiculously large IT budget :smileygrin:

Remember if you have 3 x 20GB VM's on a 63GB datastore, some of this space will also be taken up with the memory file (vswp) allocated to each VM. You'll only have a fraction of free space - not enough for snapshots unless you risk your datastore reaching 100% capacity........ then your VM's will fall over.

0 Kudos
zeta59
Contributor
Contributor

Well, i still dont know whether i shld use 20gbs cos it is manage under our sch system, and it is a project for us to use the blade system and try out, but i am not the only one using it. so i am afraid i might use up too much disk space of it. How about 10 gbs in total for a VM? I have calculated for my overall application that i need to download, i will be likely to take up 5gbs, then left about another half to run it? Should it be ok?

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes it maybe OK - if you run out (and assuming there is space left on the vmfs), you can extend the size of the VM's disk.

malaysiavm
Expert
Expert

get a bigger storage HDD or use the network storage like ISCSI, SAN or openfiler to expand the storage as needed

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
zeta59
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thks! Btw, i did manually extend the size of the Vm's disk, but it show no effect on the VM disk space ,meaning.. from 6gbs , i extend to 10gbs but the c drive in the VM, still show 6 gbs, no changes make. Or the changes will not be shown ?

Sry for so much qns...

0 Kudos
K-MaC
Expert
Expert

You will still need to use disk management to expand the HDD inside of windows.

Cheers

Kevin

Cheers Kevin
0 Kudos
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert

was referenced in an earlier thread () as a way to get the system partition extended without using any 3rd party tools...

0 Kudos