VMware Cloud Community
garylundie
Contributor
Contributor

Multple Instances of the Same VM

Hi,

I am currently running VMware server 2, and have succesfully created a several virtual machines (XP, Vista and Linux). However, the problem I'm having (and it's one that I have read about and found several solutions, but not one that suits) is that I need a new instance of the VM to be spawned for each user that connects.

Other solutions that have been suggested already include setting up Terminal Services on the Windows Boxes and configuring X for multiple sessions on the Linux boxes, however, this is something we'd only consider if there were no other options.

Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcoem to the Forums - Depnding on how many of these VM instances you spawn you will quickly find VMware Server will become overloaded - Since it sounds like you are looking to deploy desktops I would take a look at VMware View - http://www.vmware.com/products/view/overview.html - you can even purchase base on the number of workstations you are looking to host -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

if you are looking for poor-mans-View you could create multiple linked clones from a golden master with simple batch files

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos