VMware Cloud Community
peter79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Multiple CPU's

Guys,

I have a VM which has 4 CPU's assigned to it. The VM is running Widows 2003 Standard Edition. When I open the task manager and click on the performance tab the CPU history pane only displays one graph where as it should display 4 (1 per CPU). i checked the device manager and it correctly displays 4 CPU's the correct multiprocessor HAL is also installed. As far as i can tell the VM see's all 4 CPU's but I dont know why its not reflected in the task manager anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

On the "view" menu, you have the option to change the graphic to 1 per CPU or a single CPU resume.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
peter79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried that all ready but when i go to view->CPU History the only option I see is "One graph per CPU" and its greyed out.

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Weird. What is the processor model detected inside Windows? Have you enabled hyperthreading/VT on ESX BIOS?

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
peter79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thats the strange thing there are other VM's running on the same host with the same configuration and they are not having the same problem.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Change the CPU to Uni Processor, power it off. Then power it back on, Windows should detect the multi CPU, plug and play change the CPU, and notify you it needs to reboot.

Power it off again, and power it back on, see what you get.

0 Kudos
peter79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Rebooting the server is not an option the server is in production.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

> Rebooting the server is not an option the server is in production.

I was referring to the VM, not the ESX host. Otherwise, do you see the CPU in performance tab for the VM?

0 Kudos
peter79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I knew you were referring to the VM (the VM is a production server). The performance history tab for the VM only seems to list 1 CPU (even though the VM's settings clearly shows 4 CPU's assigned to the VM).

0 Kudos