VMware Cloud Community
macgreen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Multi vcpu to single vcpu on Linux VM - Any issues?

I would like to reduce the number of vcpu's to a single vcpu on a couple of VM's.

vsphere: ESX 4.1

VM: Hardware version 7

Guest OS: Suse Linux Enterprise Server SLES 10 SP3 (64bits)

Current vcpu(s): 2

Reason: To reduce licensing costs of the DBMS installed.

This possible without any problems/issues?

My environment:- vSphere 4.1 : • ESX 4.1 Servers • vCenter Server 4.1 (VM) : - Windows Server 2008 64bit - MS SQL 2005 (VCDB/VUMDB) • NetBackup 6.5.5 - VCB 1.5 U1 • FC SAN
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bilalhashmi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can do this. Make sure you power off the VM and if this is a critical machine, I will back it up, even though I have never had any issues in the past.. just to be safe..

SO yes its possible for you to do that...  who knows, if u had an overcommited host, now u may get better scheduling time...

Follow me @ Cloud-Buddy.com

Blog: www.Cloud-Buddy.com | Follow me @hashmibilal

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bilalhashmi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can do this. Make sure you power off the VM and if this is a critical machine, I will back it up, even though I have never had any issues in the past.. just to be safe..

SO yes its possible for you to do that...  who knows, if u had an overcommited host, now u may get better scheduling time...

Follow me @ Cloud-Buddy.com

Blog: www.Cloud-Buddy.com | Follow me @hashmibilal
0 Kudos
macgreen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Performed  the change from multi cpu to single cpu without any problems.

As expected no issues on Linux.

However, I just tried this on Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit Standard Edition also. And it just worked!!!

It was using an ACPI x64 HAL.

I just shutdown changed cpu number in VM settings and it booted.

My environment:- vSphere 4.1 : • ESX 4.1 Servers • vCenter Server 4.1 (VM) : - Windows Server 2008 64bit - MS SQL 2005 (VCDB/VUMDB) • NetBackup 6.5.5 - VCB 1.5 U1 • FC SAN
0 Kudos