VMware Cloud Community
rgv75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Move VM Files from Local Storage to NFS

I have 3 ESX server in a cluster and I have VC as a VM stored on a local storage. I just mounted a new NFS storage to all 3 ESX servers. How do I move this VC's VM files from local storage to the network storage? I hope someone can help. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you're welcome. I don't know of a way to sVMotion a VCMS running as a VM.

please consider awarding points for helpful/correct answers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

what version of ESX/VC? Storage vmotion might me an option?

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you have VC 2.5 and ESX 3.5 you can use sVMotion

Here is the plugin I use

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vip-svmotion

0 Kudos
rgv75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for all the answer. I just tried sVMotion on another VM and it works GREAT. Just wanted to make sure that while I'm performing the sVMotion on the VirtualCenter VM that things won't break. Have you guys tried sVMotion on the VC? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you're welcome. I don't know of a way to sVMotion a VCMS running as a VM.

please consider awarding points for helpful/correct answers.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I t sould work because you can vmotion a VC VM -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

sounds logical... You are probably right.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

it should definitely work, seen many people mention it on this forum!

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

joboo12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have SV-Motioned VC many times without issue. Works great.

Sorry, after posting I neglected to mention that officially VMWare does not support Local to NFS or NFS to Local Storage motion activity. I'm pretty sure this still is the policy but may have changed with the introduction of Update 2. someone please correct me if I'm wrong here. Having said this, I have used Storage Motion MANY times from Local to NFS and back without issue.

0 Kudos
rgv75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, I just tried it right now and the sVMotion worked migrating a VC VM from local to NFS storage.

The only other thing I can report back is that while I was connected via a remote VI3 Client, around 80% into the sVMotion, VI3 client kicked me off the session. There's also a task error with at status of "An error occurred while communicating with the remote host" after I re-logged in. Everything is working despite of the error in the Task pane.

Thanks again for all the posts.

0 Kudos