VMware Cloud Community
OO____OO
Contributor
Contributor

Missing Datastore capacity

Hi.

I have created a datastore with 48 GB.

I created a 3 VM with 12GB virtual disk. 48 - 12*3 = 12 GB remaining capacity.

After turn on and off this VM several times the remaining capacity in the datastore has been going down until not suficient datastore capacity to turn on a VM.

I have converted this VM into templates and back to VM. The remaining capacity in the datastore grows to 4.3 GB

I browse the datastore but the folders of this VM are empty or no files are listed.

Is this normal? Log files?

Thanks.

Pau.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

There is quite a bit of overhead you are not aware of for an VM residing on a datastore within ESX v3. Everyfile associated with the VM is stored with the VMDK. You have to worry about:

.vmdk metafile (.5KB)

-flat.vmdk Disk file (12GB)

.vswp file (size of memory)

.vmx file (configuration file 1-2KB)

.vmxf file (meta file .5KB)

-delta.vmdk (delta file for snapshots)

.vmsn (snapshot file)

.log.* files

etc.

If you want to see what is eating up the space go to:

/vmfs/volumes/dataStoreName/vmName

and do

ls -al

Or use the Browse Data Store option from the DataStore view using the VIC.

Most likely it is a combination of .vswp and log files causing your issues.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky, author of the forthcoming 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', publishing January 2008, (c) 2008 Pearson Education.

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
OO____OO
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Edwar.

I don´t have snapshots for this VM. May be only the log and .vswp files.

Can I turn off a VM and then delete the .vswp file to free space?

I can´t view the VM content folders from the datastore browser of the virtual center, I only can view and delete this files if I connect directly to the host machine.

Is this normal?

Thank you in advance.

Pau.

0 Kudos
bigdee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

you can also try to change your memory reservation in the Resources tab of your VM config.

If you set the memory reservation to the actual memory of the VM the VM-swapfile (.vswp) will be 0 bytes in size (because all memory will be reserved in the physical RAM of the ESX host).

The .vswp file is sized according to your memory reservation settings and has the size "VM Memory - Reservation" (as far as I know). The default setting in VI3 is a memory reservation of 0MB as far as I know. That meens that for the VM a swapfile in the size of the assigned memory is created by default.

You have to power your VM off and on to get the changes activated.

CU

0 Kudos
harryc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Deleting the vswp file can be done, but putting one back is not always a trivial exercise.

( I never thought of turning RAM to 0 - thx ).

0 Kudos